In a perfect world we would only have to drink either goat milk or cow milk on our homestead. However, my daughter is lactose intolerant and therefore I decided to learn how to make almond milk, so she can have some sort of ‘milk’ to drink.
To my surprise this is actually easier than I had imagined. You really only need two ingredients and it takes less than 5 minutes to make some almond milk. Almond milk is also a great alternative for those on the Paleo or caveman diet.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 3 to 4 cups filtered water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- pinch of sea salt
- measuring cup or bowl
- cheese cloth
- air tight bottle or container
Step By Step Instructions
1. Soak your almonds in the measuring cup over night to make them
easier to blend and extract milk from.
2. Drain the water from the almonds in the morning and place the
almonds in your blender.
3. Add your vanilla extract and your pinch of sea salt.
4. Pour your filtered water into the high speed blender.
5. Start your blender on HIGH and run it until your almonds
are ground into a creamy milky mixture.
6. Cover your strainer with your cheese cloth and then place the
strainer on top of your measuring cup.
7. Pour your creamy almond mixture from your blender into the cheese
cloth. The almond milk should collect in the measuring cup below.
8. Pull up all four corners of the cheese cloth and squeeze out as
much milk as you can from the pulp.
9. Pour your homemade almond milk into your container or jar.
10. Store your almond milk for up to 4 days in your refrigerator.
Alternatives – Chocolate Or Sweet Almond Milk
You can make sweeten your almond milk by adding honey, maple syrup or dates. If you want chocolate almond milk, you can add 2-3 tablespoons of cocoa. Spices like cinnamon and nutmeg can be added to your milk too.
Don’t through away the pulp, you can dry it in your oven to make homemade almond meal which you can use for your baking needs.
You can watch the video below on how to make almond milk…